Wednesday, April 27, 2011

DAYTON'S LEGS

This video of a 13-year-old boy, who participated in a triathlon event with another boy with cerebral palsy, made me remember my “running mate” Dr. Renald Peter Ramiro when I ran my first half-marathon in 2009. I needed all the help then as I was running on unfamiliar territory.
Before this race, the longest I’ve ran was 16 kilometers and it was a struggle.  Doc Ramiro’s presence was enough to keep me going. As we were running, it helped me tremendously to find him on my side as I struggled in the last 2 kilometers of the race. He was my extra eyes, ears and figuratively my legs!
In my first marathon, the Cebu City Marathon in 2010, I had Eugene Cabusao, Cliff Abraham and Ray Wagas going stride-by-stride with me as we tried to finish our first marathon with bad back, cramps, blisters and all.
Now flashback to about 1992.
We were living in Guadalupe, Makati then. Our 1-year-old son Jason was struggling with high fever as we were going to bed. When the fever didn’t subside despite all our efforts, my wife decided that we bring him to the hospital. It was around 2 pm in the morning and it was raining hard because of a tropical depression.
I carried Jason and my wife held the umbrella as we went out to the street to get a cab. There was no cab! There was no choice but to walk up to EDSA. As the three of us struggled under heavy rain and gusty wind, a car stopped. The driver lowered the passenger window and asked where we’re headed. We told him we’re trying to bring our son to a hospital but couldn’t get a cab.
He immediately got out of the car, and opened the door and let my wife and me.
To make a long story short, we made it to Makati Medical Center and thanked the driver only to realize later that we didn’t ask his name.
To that unknown driver who helped us that stormy morning, I’d like to THANK YOU! We haven’t forgotten what you did for us after all the years!
May this extraordinary deed by an ordinary young man, inspire us…


No comments:

Post a Comment