Thursday, October 20, 2011

RUN IN PEACE, MELINDA PONCE



I don’t usually run on a Sunday.

This Sunday, I’ll break protocol and join the Run in Peace, Melinda Ponce, a tribute run for a fellow runner whose life and those of her three children were snapped in a gruesome massacre last Sunday by her husband Emmanuel, right in the confines of their own home.

I’m running a fever as I write this blog. But come Sunday, even if I have to drag myself to run or help to make the run successful, in any way I could, I’ll do it.
Ma’am Melinda, as we fondly call her, every time she visits Runnr in Ayala, would come with a smile on her face. You could never find a trace of suffering or abuse on her face. Now after what happened, we know that running was her diversion – the only reason why she could wake up in the morning and run furiously along the streets of Cebu – whether she’s preparing for a race or just keeping herself in form.

We would cross paths along Jones Avenue during my early morning runs, she in those running shorts she wore when she was gunned down. I would usually take the center island along Jones Avenue and Ma’am Melinda would be running towards me on my right, on the other side of the road. Every time she sees me, she would wave her hand! She would always be the first to wave at me!

I will miss that familiar figure on the road, a fleeting figure that would dart towards me! Now that we have a little glimpse of the life she lived, I even miss her more. If there’s an example of rising above your trials, Ma’am Melinda is the unanimous choice as a poster girl. I have asked our store supervisor that we retain the picture of Ma’am Melinda posted on our Runner’s Central at the office as our loving, lasting tribute to her.

The fun run on Sunday will start at 5:30 am at the Terraces. The route will traverse Cardinal Rosales Ave., Gorordo Ave., Gen. Maxilom Ave., Fuente, Osmena Blvd. going to Capitol, Escario and back to the Cebu Business Park. After the run, there will be requiem mass in honor of Ma’am Melinda.
I understand there are two races scheduled on Sunday and most of the runners have registered in those races. I say those races you could MISS but not the Run in Peace, Melinda Ponce.

Registration is now on going at Runnr Ayala and Clinica Melgar (The clinic of Dr. Humility Melgar Egana on top of KFC Fuente). Registration is P150 pesos and bibs are now available as you register.  


1 comment:

  1. Cebu Business Park was my usual running grounds when I lived near CBP. I always saw MP running there. I didn't know her name yet then. When I moved to another house, Banawa-Labangon-Tisa was always part of my runs. And I was surprised to also see her there always. I only knew her name when she was featured in the newspaper a few weeks back. She's an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete