Saturday, January 29, 2011



I woke up at around 4:30 am today (January 29, 2011) to find the road dry! By golly, I haven’t seen a dry road for a few days because of the rain. I quickly changed into my running gear for a good 10k run.
            The rains have affected my training lately. But in those days when it was impossible to run outside, I worked myself to death doing my strengthening exercises! They are harder than running. Thanks to Coach Pio Solon.
            The issue of rain brings my mind to the upcoming PLDT-Smart 10 Miler that I’m helping to direct.
What if it rains on Sunday? The race will continue, rain or shine, that’s for sure. But are the runners ready?
            So what should runners do if it rains on Sunday morning?
            I have read a few suggestions here and there and formulated the following list.
            1. DRESS IN LAYER. The inner shirt or singlet should be dri-fit; the outer water resistant. Don’t wear waterproof shirts because the fabric will trap moister and heat. Please don’t overdress. You will feel the weight of the extra shirt once you get wet.
            2. WEAR A HAT. I have always preferred visors but when it rains, a hat is better.
            3. BE VISIBLE. As much as possible, wear singlets with reflectors because visibility in the rain is poor. Be wary of traffic too.
            4. USE LUBRICATION. Use lubrication (my favorite is Body Glide) in areas where you would usually chafe. Put a lot on your toes as well. When your shoes are soaked you need lubrication to prevent blisters.
            5. WEAR OLD SHOES AT THE START. Wear old shoes while lining up for the race. You must bring your other running shoes along and change shoes after gun start. This will ensure you have dry shoes to start the race.
            6. WEAR THIN SOCKS. Thin socks will not get easily soaked while thick socks will be soggy when wet.
            7. WEAR TRASH BAGS. This is weird but you could cut holes in trash bags so they could be your poncho if it rains while you’re lining up to start the race. Please dispose of your trash bags properly when the race starts.
            8. REMEMBER TO DRINK. Keep hydrated during the race. Despite the cool weather, you still need to drink.
            9. SEEK COVER IF LIGTHNING STRIKES. I don’t know if you could really do this, but please remember to take cover if lightning strikes.
            10. ADJUST EXPECTATION. Simply put, not the day to set your PR.
            11. AFTER THE RUN, TAKE THE INSOLES OF YOUR SHOES. Take the insoles of your shoes after running in the rain and wrap them with paper. They dry up much faster this way.
            12. THINK HARDCORE. It’s good for the psyche to finish a race in challenging conditions. Only a true runner will answer the gun – rain or shine. If you don’t have the courage to run in the rain, forgive my saying but I think you ain't a hardcore yet!

           
           

1 comment:

  1. Nice tips here Bishop. Now I know why my officemates left me when we are supposed to run one of the rained races last year, lol!

    See you Bishop at the Condura race as I will be missing you on Feb. 4 since I'll be at the office during that time. Here's my contact# by the way: zero-nine-one-six, two eight five, seven six-four nine.

    See you there Bishop :)

    ReplyDelete