Sunday, January 2, 2011

SOME TIPS TO FINISH THAT FIRST MARATHON


With six more days to go before the 2nd Cebu City Marathon, runners, especially those who will be running their first marathon are as excited as they get. Those who made their way to RUNNR were making their last round of purchases, making sure they have what they need for the big race.
While at the store, runners would ask for advice. Some just like to talk; others ask questions.
When asked for advice, I would usually offer the following pointers...
1. By this time, do nothing that will make you sore. The days of hard training is over, its time to heal.
2. Review the route and commit it to memory. While preparing to run my first marathon last year, I was told to envision striding to the finish with my arms raised in triumph. Furthermore, you should be familiar with the route by now, if you haven't committed it memory yet. Knowing the route will help you pace your run, or to be specific, you'll know where you will slow down or step on the gas.
3. During this week - eat more carbo and drinking lots of fluid. Don't wait until the day before the race to carbo load. Start as early as today.
4. Check out the weather forecast. The forecast for Sunday, January 9, 2011, is isolated thunderstorms, partly sunny with temperatures of 28 degrees Celcius (high) and 23 degrees Celcius (low). Humidity is 78%. Chances of rain is 63% and wind speed is 21 km/hour. In other words, the forecast is ideal for a run. But please don't believe all the info in here. Weather forecasts are just forecast - they change without prior notice, so be prepared for the worst.
5. Make checklist of things. You should have the timing chip, race number, sports gel, cap, sunglasses, etc. in your booty. You should have kept that chip in a safety deposit box after you’ve received the race packet. Don’t forget where you put it. Remember, no chip, no time.
6. Arrange for transpo to and from the race. When I ran the marathon last year, I requested my wife to drive me to IT Park at 3:30 am and pick me up later, hopefully before noon!
7. Run your own race. Starting slow is the only way to start and finish a marathon for the first time. I started slow and for the first 3 kilometers. I or I mean, we also did (last year) walk intervals especially after every water station. Conduct a 'body check' after that grueling SRP grind. If you still have gas left in your tank after leaving SRP then you're in good shape. If not then you just enjoy your first marathon.
For sure you have read a lot or heard a lot on how to finish your first marathon. Whatever you have read or heard please don't forget to use common sense when you answer the gun next Sunday.
I'll be at the Magellan's Cross water station and would be ready to help. Goodluck and God bless to all runners!

3 comments:

  1. Amen to all these. i will make sure to do these things heartily...

    thank you sir raffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bishop, yes I remember your blog and the comment. Thanks din po for the invite but sadly wala pa po akong lakas ng loob na tumakbo ng Ultra distance eh, hehe...

    I would have joined the Cebu Marathon but time does not permit so I'll just see you at the Condura Skyway Marathon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bishop, when I posted the comment above, the word verification that popped was "nessa". Coincidentally, Nessa is also my wife's name, hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete