Saturday, January 1, 2011

ELDER OSUMO: OUR MISSIONARY IN THE MANILA MISSION


(First off, I’d like to quote what my wife wrote in her Facebook account after we sent off Elder Osumo to the airport on his way to the MTC: “To all our friends, youth, SA of the Church who visited with Jason in his despedida..... daghan kaayyyooooonnngggg salamat for coming!.. truly, appreciate your thoughtfulness.”)

I would usually tease parents who are sending off their son or daughter to the airport for the Missionary Training Center (MTC) in Manila. I would grin when parents start to cry when it’s time to go. I’d always tell myself, I’d never cry when my children goes on missions.
When it was time to bring Jason to the airport early morning on September 18, I didn’t cry! It was when we reached home that I broke down! The steely heart melted like an ice cream left under the heat of the sun!
After I’ve parked the van, I rushed to our room, hugged my wife, with tears falling down my eyes! I can’t believe we just sent off Jason to the airport to start his full-time mission.
For those who are not members of our faith, every young man, when they reach 19 years old, when they are able, are encouraged to serve as missionaries for two years. In most cases, these young men would stop schooling to serve. Others may want to finish their education then serve.
Jason decided to serve a mission after he turned 19 years old in July. As bishop of the ward, I have to interview him. Even after I signed the papers, I asked him for the last time if he’s willing to serve. I told him that once I signed it and after his interview with the stake president, there will be no turning back.
I have to ask because I know how hard it is to be a missionary. I served my mission some years back…back when there were only four missions in the whole of the Philippines. Now there are 16!
Make a long story short; his papers were mailed to Church headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah. Then it was a waiting game. We were anxious where he will be called to serve as a missionary.
Ramel Canales, another missionary now at the MTC, received his call and he will be serving in the Cagayan de Oro Mission.
Where will Jason serve, we asked? For a while, he expressed that he preferred to serve in the south – Davao, Cagayan de Oro or Butuan – because some of his friends like Elder Bentley Luyong, Elder Ken Embradora, and others were serving in these areas. He wished he could serve with them.
Then one afternoon, in late July, I received a text message from President Benjamin Montera Sr., our stake president. He said Jason’s call had arrived, thus he has to pick the letter containing the call at his office in Labangon Meetinghouse.
Jason went to see Pres. Montera. Later in the afternoon, while he was attending his class in the Institute, I called him and inquired of his call. He whispered, “Manila Mission.”
That night, before we gathered for our family prayer, we read the call. The language of the call was Cebuano (Missionary calls are now written in the language of the prospective missionary. In our time, mission calls were written in English.) I know he was a bit adamant, but then he said maybe the Lord wants him to learn Tagalog which is the language of Manila Mission.
We told him the call was inspired, President Thomas S. Monson signed it!
Then we told him that we – his parents – served in the Manila Mission as well. I served in the late 70’s while my wife Sister Cielito Aldemita served in the mid 80’s. We reminded him as well that her aunt Pinky served in the same mission and his Papa Rey as well who was later transferred to Quezon City Mission after it was created out of the Manila Mission.
After the call, it was time to prepare. We started to buy him white shirts, ties, pants and many other things that he will need. We have to buy things piece by piece because we have limited resources.
Finally, a few days before he was set apart as missionary, his uncle Carlo bough him a red luggage! Of course, it should be red, it’s his favorite color. The last purchase was a watch that he was reluctant to wear because it makes him look “tacky.”
We planned a simple despidida for him. It was simple only in our minds! Droves came to bid him farewell, mostly his friends from the Institute.
The next day, my wife, Kiyo, James and I, were present when Pres. Montera set apart Jason as a missionary. This time it’s official…he’s now Elder Osumo. Because he’s now a missionary, I have to tag along with him until his flight to Manila the next day. Vince was with us. He slept at home and drove with us to the airport the next day.
Apaw met Elder at the airport in Manila. They have to wait for at least two hours because Apaw promised Zaldy Perez that she would meet his son, who will be reporting to the MTC, as well. In between, Elder Osumo downed two Burger King Champs and one big glass of pineapple juice. He wanted Coke but Apaw was quick to tell him that the beverage is a no-no in Manila Mission.
When they finally reached the MTC, Apaw was able to take a picture of him before he started his training. That picture is posted in this blog.
It took a week before he could write us! Before his letter I was wondering how he was doing! We were all shocked when he wrote us to say that he was one of the Zone Leaders in the MTC. His companion was Elder Pipit, whom we found out later was a son of Nelson Pipit from Naic, Cavite. Naic was part of my area when I was serving my mission.
A few more letters and then he finally entered Manila Mission in the first week of October. He was paired with Elder Arquiola and they were to reopen Pasig 1st Ward in Pasig. Elder Arquiola was from Iloilo. Like Jason, he took up IT, graduated, but a job but opted to serve a mission. They became instant friends. He has spoken nothing but good things about his first companion.
So far, his first challenge was being robbed. Robber broke into their apartment and took all their money. Fortunately, the zone leaders borrowed his camera, thus it was spared from the robbers.
We were able to speak to him on Christmas Day. Missionaries are allowed to call home twice a year – on Christmas Day and on Mother’s Day – and so those who were at home spoke to him. When it was my turn, all I could ask was how he was doing. He said he’s doing fine and is enjoying his mission. From the sound of his voice, I know he was doing fine.
Last week we received an e-mail from Elder Osumo saying Elder Arquiola was transferred and he’s now with his follow-up trainer Elder Seru.

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful it is to hear mission experiences, and how great also it is to gain the experience of being on a mission!

    I hope we could meet Elder Osumo here in Quezon City area (QC Ward or Lagro Ward).

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks good bishop!=) Elder Osumo is definitely an asset to manila mission =)

    ReplyDelete